Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 20:04
    Greg Berlin

Problems Upgrading 3.0.5 > 4.0.2.1 [Could not load type 'umbraco.WebForm1]

I've followed the instructions, copied the required files over the old installation, checked permissions, run the upgrade wizard (had some problems with the DB update - it stalled, but 2nd time through the wizard i made it all the way through), changed the passwordFormat to Clear in order to log in, etc...

But now on all frontend pages i'm getting the following error:

which is referring to the following line:

Any ideas what's causing this, and how i can fix it?  

I can't get any Umbraco debug info, so no help there... I've also made sure i'm trying on a page that doesn't have any User Controls or anything else very fancy on it.. just a straight simple page... so something wrong wtih Umbraco itself, not my implementation from what i can tell.

Everythign in the back end seems to be working fine, by the way :)

Hoping somebody can give me some pointers on how to fix this...

Cheers

Greg

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 01:00
    Paul Sterling

Greg -

Are you running the released bits for 4.0.2.1?  I'd expect the default.aspx to look like this instead:

<%

language</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="c#"</span></span><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;">Codebehind</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="default.aspx.cs"</span></span><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;">AutoEventWireup</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="True"</span></span><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;">Inherits</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="umbraco.UmbracoDefault"</span></span><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;">trace</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="true"</span></span><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #ff0000; font-size: x-small;">validateRequest</span></span><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;"><span style="color: #0000ff; font-size: x-small;">="false"</span></span>

If you're running from the source or have taken an intermmediate step (say recompiling or adding code) VS may have updated this reference for you - erroneously.  I'd try grabbing the defaut.aspx file from the released 4.0.2.1 archive.

-Paul

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 01:02
    Paul Sterling

I have no ides what just happend to the code snippet - let's try that again:

@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="default.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="True" Inherits="umbraco.UmbracoDefault" trace="true" validateRequest="false"

Jul 01, 2009 @ 07:39
    Greg Berlin

Thanks Paul... I'm running the "Umbraco 4.0.2.1 Jun 3

Jul 01, 2009 @ 07:42
    Greg Berlin

Thanks Paul... I'm running the

Jul 01, 2009 @ 07:44
    Greg Berlin

Bah!  This forum is really pissing me off... ok 3rd time lucky:

Thanks Paul... I'm running the "Umbraco 4.0.2.1 application, 4986K, uploaded Jun 3   - 5012 downloads" that i downloaded yesterday - top download on the Umbraco downloads page.  OH WAIT!!!  I didn't replace default.aspx from my v3 installation - that's what the problem is!!

I'll try it out shortly and let you know... if that's the case, then the upgrade manual has missed an important step.  hehehe

Jul 01, 2009 @ 09:12
    Greg Berlin

That's really weird... I have fixed the problem.. turns out I ended up with a different default.aspx file, and i have no idea how.  I've looked at the original zip file i got it from, and that one is correct.  Then i looked at the original unzipped folder, and that is correct.  But when i copied it from there to a temporary folder from which i copied files over the original v3 installation folder, the default.aspx file changed to this:

<%@ Register Namespace="umbraco.layoutControls" TagPrefix="umb" Assembly="umbraco" %>
    <%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="default.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="True" Inherits="umbraco.WebForm1" trace="true" %>
    <asp:Panel id="PanelDebug" runat="server" Visible="False"></asp:Panel>
    <umb:umbracopageholder id="umbPageHolder" runat="server"></umb:umbracopageholder>

Honestly, i'm stumped to how this happened... perhaps this looks familiar to somebody else?  Anyway, its resolved now, so not a big stress.. i'm just intrigued as to how this happened.

Thanks for the quick response Paul

cheers,

Greg

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft